Luhta dates back to 1907 when Vihtori Luhtanen decided to start his own clothing company in Lahti, Finland. His wife designed and sewed whilst Vihtori was responsible for the sales. Luhtanen employed two seamstresses and this was the first step towards creating his own sewing workshop.
The construction of the first industrial sewing workshop was completed in 1928 at a location close to the railway station in Lahti, then in 1944 Vihtori’s son Jaakko Luhtanen became the managing director of the company. The war years were difficult for the company, as were the years immediately after the war as there was a constant shortage of textile materials.
By the 1950’s supply and competition had returned to normal and Luhta began to focus on leisure wear. In the 1960’s Luhta had huge success as a brand name in Finland, new distribution channels were developed and Luhta broke into the international markets in the early 1970’s. Luhta continued it’s growth. In the 1990’s Luhta had become a group of companies and the name was changed to L-Fashion Group.
Today L-fashion group is still based in Lahti and is one of the biggest clothing manufacturers in Europe. The Group employs 1645 people and exports to over 40 countries.